This tutorial will walk you through numerous options for resolving the Xbox game bar not opening problem.
You can, for example, modify the Registry or double-check the Hotkey Settings in the Xbox app.
To fix various PC problems, we recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool:
This software will fix common computer faults, protect you from file loss, malware, and hardware failure, and optimize your PC to run at its best. In three simple actions, you can immediately fix PC problems and eradicate viruses:
- Click here to download Restoro PC Repair Tool, which includes patent-pending technologies (patent available here).
- Click Start Scan to detect Windows faults that may be causing PC difficulties.
- To correct issues that are affecting your computer’s security and performance, click Repair All.
Xbox is one of the default apps in Windows 10. This program connects your Xbox to your PC and features a useful game bar where you can take screenshots and record videos.
Normally, you would press Win + G with a window selected to open the Game bar. If the hotkey isn’t opening the game bar, try one of the following solutions for the error.
How to fix Xbox game bar is not working in Windows 10
1. Check the Game bar’s Settings
1. Click the Xbox app’s Start menu tile to launch it. Alternatively, you can type “xbox” into the Cortana search bar.
2. After that, open the Xbox app and sign in. To sign in to the Xbox app, you’ll need a Microsoft Account.
3. On the sidebar of the Xbox app, there’s a Settings button gear symbol in the bottom left corner. Select Game DVR from the drop-down menu under Settings.
4. You may now choose Record game clips and screenshots using Game DVR. If that option is turned off, click it to enable it.
5. Close the Xbox software and reboot your computer.
6. To open the Game bar, press Win key + G.
It’s possible that the Record game clips and screenshots using Game DVR in Windows 10 are disabled.
When you press the Game bar’s hotkey, it will not open. As a result, as explained above, you can check that option.
2. Edit the Registry
1. To begin, open the registry by hitting Win + R and typing regedit into the Run box.
2. After that, go to
3. Then right-click the AppCaptureEnabled DWORD and click Modify from the context menu.
4. If the value of the DWORD is 0, type 1 in the Value data text box.
5. Go to the GameConfigStore page now.
6. To open the window below, right-click the GameDVR_Enabled DWORD and pick Modify from the context menu.
7. If the current value is 0, type 1 in the Value data text box.
8. Press the Game bar hotkey after restarting Windows.
You may also use the registry to change the Game bar.
3. Don’t Run the Games in Full-Screen Mode
Is it true that the Game bar doesn’t appear when you’re playing a full-screen game? Because most games don’t recognize the Win key + G hotkey, the Game bar doesn’t open in full-screen modes.
That doesn’t mean you can’t utilize the Game bar’s features in full-screen mode; it only means the overlay UI won’t appear.
You can still use the Win + Alt + R hotkey to record a game or the Win + Alt + Prt hotkey to take a screenshot. To open the Game bar UI, start the game in window mode and press Win key + G.
4. Check the Xbox app’s Hotkey Settings
1. To begin, reopen the Xbox app.
2. Select the Game DVR from the Settings menu at the bottom left of the app window.
3. Check the Game bar hotkeys under Keyboard shortcuts if the Record game clips and screenshots using Game DVR option are on. Is the hotkey for the Game bar Win + G or something else?
4. If the Game bar hotkey has been changed, erase the customized key from the Your shortcut text box.
5. Alternatively, you can open the Game bar by pressing the customizable hotkey or entering your own alternative shortcut. It’s worth noting, though, that some games may prevent you from using custom hotkeys.
6. To save your new settings, click Save.
Verify that the Game bar hotkeys haven’t been changed in any way. Because the Xbox software allows users to change their hotkeys, it’s possible that someone messed with the keyboard shortcut settings.
As previously said, you can check the Game bar hotkeys.
5. Install the Windows Media Feature Pack
1. Download the Media Feature Pack update package from this source.
2. Go to the location where you saved it and run the installer file.
Windows 10 N and KN editions do not feature all of the media technologies and apps found in more mainstream editions.
So, if you’re using a Windows 10 N edition, it’s possible that the Game bar isn’t showing up for you.
A number of apps require Windows Media files, which are not present in Windows 10 KN or N.
The Windows Media Feature Pack, on the other hand, can be used to install the media-related technologies that are otherwise missing in Windows 10 N.
6. Reinstall the Xbox app
1. Tap Windows Key + S and type powershell. Right-click Windows PowerShell from the list of results and choose Run as administrator.
2. Once PowerShell starts, run the following command: Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp | Remove-AppxPackage
Game bar is a feature that is tightly linked to the Xbox app, and you may be able to resolve any issues with Game bar by just reinstalling the Xbox software.
Reinstalling a core Windows application is a relatively advanced operation that requires PowerShell, but by following the above steps, you should be able to reinstall the Xbox app without any problems.
The Xbox program will be uninstalled from your PC after you perform this command. All you have to do now is open the Microsoft Store app and reinstall the Xbox app.
The problem with the Game bar should be totally rectified after you download it.
7. Turn Game bar off and on
1. To open Settings, press Windows Key + I.
2. Navigate to the Gaming area of the Settings app after it has opened.
3. Disable the option Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar. Now, wait a few moments before turning it back on.
According to users, if your PC’s Game bar isn’t opening, you might be able to solve the problem by just turning it off and on.
This is only a temporary fix, but it might help you with your problem.
The Game bar should then start working again. Keep in mind that this is only a temporary solution; if you continue to have problems with the Game bar, you’ll need to repeat the process.
8. Create a new user account
1. Navigate to the Accounts area of the Settings app.
2. Select Family & Other People from the menu on the left. Choose Add someone else to this PC in the right pane.
3. Choose I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
4. Select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
5. Enter the desired user name and tap on Next.
Game bar issues, according to users, can occur if your user profile is damaged or corrupted. However, by just creating a new user account, you may be able to resolve the issue.
To accomplish this, simply follow the instructions outlined above. Switch to a new user account after creating one and see if it solves your problem.
If the problem does not occur on the new account, you should transfer all of your personal files to it and use it instead of the old one.
9. Use third-party solutions
If you can’t get the Game bar to work, you might want to look into using third-party software.
Although the Game bar comes preinstalled with Windows 10, it does have certain limits, and if you can’t get it to operate properly, you should try another Windows 10 screen recording program.
We would recommend you to try Icecream Screen Recorder if you’re looking for a different tool that can record your screen and gameplay sessions.
See more: Download Snagit for Windows
This tool is really simple to use, and it has capabilities that Game bar does not so give it a shot:
Windows + G not working/Win + G not working – It’s time to examine your Xbox Game Bar settings if hitting the Windows logo key + G doesn’t work.
Game bar keeps turning off – You probably need to activate Game Mode, however, the Game Bar keeps turning off. If this is the case, adjust AllowGameDVR to 1 in the registry.
Xbox game bar not launching – Start the troubleshooting step by examining the Game bar’s Settings when the Xbox game bar refuses to launch. If this does not make an impact, repeat the procedures above.
Game bar won’t stay on – If the gaming bar disappears on its own, a clean boot and reinstalling the Xbox program usually solves the problem.
Game DVR not working Windows 10 – This is only a variant of the original problem, but if you run into it, the methods in this article should help you solve it.
Can’t enable Game bar – Users have reported that they are unable to enable Game bar on their computers. You can, however, resolve the problem by altering the Game bar’s settings.
Windows Game bar nothing to record – There may be occasions when you receive a notification stating that there is nothing to record. We went over this topic in depth in one of our older posts, so be sure to read it for additional information.
Game bar something went wrong – This is a common issue that might arise when using Game bar. If you run across this problem, turn Game bar off, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on again.
Game bar not opening up on Steam, appearing – If you’re having problems with Game bar and Steam, consider altering the Game bar’s setup. If it doesn’t work, try reinstalling the Xbox application.
Windows 10 Game bar not working in fullscreen – The Game bar in fullscreen has been reported to be problematic by several users. Try running fullscreen games in windowed mode as a workaround and see if it helps.
In this video, we are gonna show how to fix Xbox Game Bar not working or Xbox gaming bar not opening in your Windows 10 PC or Laptops:
Hope something helps you.