In this tutorial, learn how to install and setup Telegram Desktop app on Kali Linux.
Telegram messenger is a cross-platform, cloud-based instant messaging system. The service also provides end-to-end encrypted video calling, VoIP, file sharing and several other features. The app is multiplatform, with versions of the app available for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. You can also access the Telegram from a web browser.
Kali Linux which is usually used by security experts and other users who are learning hacking and penetration testing can also have the benefit from the Telegram Linux Desktop app; which also claims to be one of the safest methods to chat because of strong message encryption.
How To Install Telegram Desktop app on Kali Linux
There are two methods to install it on Kali Linux, one is downloading its Tar.xz file and the other is by using the SNAP packages (the quickest one)
Method 1. Download Tar.xz file of Telegram
1. Launch the Terminal and run any of the following commands as per your system’s OS version.
For 32-bit version:
For the 64-bit version
Note: Most of the latest versions of Kali are 64-bit, so this one is recommended.
2. Extract Tar.xz file
tar -xvf linux
3. Move the extracted folder of Telegram to /opt directory so that you wouldn’t uninstall it accidentally.
sudo mv Telegram/ /opt
4. Launch the Telegram app on Kali Linux
5. When finished, it will create a shortcut icon to Telegram Desktop in the All Applications area. In the future, you can simply go there and search for it to use.
6. To update
When you extract the package of this messenger, then you also get another file called Updater which is a script to download the latest updates.
Method 2. Using SNAP packages.
1. Install SNAPD on Kali Linux.
sudo apt install snapd
2. Start the Snap daemon service.
sudo systemctl start snapd.service
3. Enable service to get started automatically with boot.
sudo systemctl enable snapd.service
4. Install Telegram Desktop app on Kali using the SNAP command.
sudo snap install telegram-desktop
5. Launch Telegram.
snap run telegram-desktop
if you don’t want to use the Command Terminal every time to launch this messaging app can create a Desktop shortcut.
6. On terminal type:
7. Right Click on the Kali Desktop and click the Create Launcher option.
8. Type “– snap run telegram-desktop” in the Command section.
9. Then, click on the No Icon and then the Application icons drop-down box. Choose image files. The file explorer gets opened to select, navigate to Downloads, and choose the telegram icon.
10. Update the Telegram application
If you want to update the application using snap, then run the following command:
sudo snap refresh telegram-desktop
11. Uninstall via Snap Telegram on Kali
If you want to uninstall the application using snap, then run the following command:
sudo snap remove telegram-desktop
That’s about it.