Whenever you try to use or install an older software or application, you get an error, “Component ‘MSCOMCTL.OCX’ or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid“. You encounter this issue, because, MSCOMCTL.OCX (an ActiveX control file/32-bit control) is part of an outdated Visual Basic 6.0.
However, there are many applications that may still need the MSCOMCTL.OCX file and that’s when you may notice the MSCOMCTL.OCX error message, because the MSCOMCTL.OCX file may be missing in the program. Hence, to use this MSCOMCTL.OCX, it has to be registered or installed with your current Windows platform.
The solution to this annoying issue is quite simple. All you need to do is download and put the MSCOMCTL.OCX file into a folder in Drive C or where your Windows is installed.
How To Fix Run-time error ‘339’: Component ‘MSCOMCTL.OCX in Windows 10
1. First, check out your system type, 32 bit or 64 bit.
2. Download the mscomctl.ocx file from the Microsoft website.
3. After download, extract the downloaded file using WinRAR.
4. After extract, copy the mscomctl.ocx file.
5. Go to the following path:
For 32 bit: C:\Windows\System32
For 64 bit: C:\Windows\SysWOW64
5. Now you’ll paste the copied file into the SysWOW64 folder.
If you use a 32bit computer, paste it into the System32 folder.
6. After this step, you need to register this component. Here are the steps:
– Open command prompt as Administrator
– Type CD/ and press the Enter key.
– For 32bit: type cd c:\windows\system32 and press Enter
For 64 bit: type cd C:\Windows\Syswow64 and press Enter
– Type regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx and press Enter.
Now try to install or use the application, the error should be gone.
That’s about it.