Discord was developed and published in May 2015 as a VoIP program. It was planned to replace IRC servers for Reddit communities. There are now a record worldwide of 250 million users. However, Discord does not come without its problems. In this tutorial, I’m going to solve the popular issue of not being about to hear anyone on Discord.
Before looking through this report, I’m quickly going to run through everything you might have tried in advance.
1. First of all, restart your computer.
2. Then, play an audio test to make sure your speakers/headphones are definitely working. To do this, you can play some music via YouTube. If you don’t hear anything, you probably have a speaker/headset problem. But, if your audio device is producing sound, following these steps.
3. Start by launching Discord. Simple, but sometimes effective.
4. Start your device again.
5. Remove and plug in your headset.
If any of these work, happy days. If not, there might be something a little more technical wrong with your Discord setup.
I always want to avoid reinstalling software, because this is a tedious, tiring job. But, certain scenarios may require it. If Discord does not work on Windows, reinstall it completely. Unlike other software, this is a relatively rapid process. In about five minutes you can completely uninstall and reinstall Discord. If reinstalling does not work, then you know it’s something to do with the computer configuration with Discord.
How To Fix Can’t Hear People In Discord
Method 1. Default Communication Device
A way to set your headphones to a default contact tool that is regularly ignored. This is done in Windows, thus sometimes users can miss this problem. Follow these steps:
1. Right-click on the sound tab in the lower right corner of Windows, and click “Open Sound Settings“.
2. In Sound options, scroll down to “Related Settings” and click the “Sound Control Panel” tab.
3. Look for your audio device in the list, right-click the tab, and click “Set as default communications device“.
4. After the default contact system has been selected, click Apply > OK.
5. Relaunch Discord, and check if the issue has been resolved.
This is another tried and tested method of getting Discord back up and running. It’s worked for many users and might be the fix you’re looking for.
Method 2. Legacy Audio Subsystem
One of the most common fixes for not being able to hear anyone in Discord comes down to hardware compatibility. At times, hardware components aren’t compatible with Discord’s latest audio subsystem. Simply reverting to the legacy audio subsystem will get rid of this problem. Switching the “Use Legacy Audio Subsystem” setting on has fixed many Discord issues down the line. Here are the steps:
1. Launch Discord.
2. Click the tab “User Settings” under server channels, it’s a little gear icon.
3. Go to the “Voice & Video” tab, scroll down to locate the “Audio Subsystem” segment inside the Voice & Video tab. Select the “Legacy” option.
4. When you have selected the “Legacy” option, click “OKay” and then restart Discord.
Many users have used this approach to solve the issue, ideally, it will work for you. If it does not, however, go to the next method.
Method 3. Setting Input/Output Device
One of the easiest methods you can take in fixing your audio output issue is by making sure your audio device is set to your primary input & output device. Here are the steps:
1. Right-click on the sound tab at the bottom right of the screen.
2. Click the “Open Sound Settings” option.
3. You can see a “Choose Your Output Device” drop-down menu on this tab once. Pick the menu below and ensure that the headphones you are using are selected as primary.
4. Follow the same “Input” method.
5. Once all have been set properly, relaunch Discord and hopefully fix your problem.
Method 4. Keep Discord Up-To-Date
If all the above fixes work, then your Discord has a bug or needs a software update. Discord regularly releases updates to keep Discord running as efficiently as possible. But, sometimes the updates can mess with your application ion if not installed correctly. If your Discord is bugged then the application will roll itself back to an older, none bugged, version. However, if that’s the situation, you will need to restart, or refresh, Discord.
You can do this by simply restarting the program or pressing CTRL + R to refresh Discord.
If you’ve tried everything and Discord still isn’t working, we suggest using your headset with another machine and version of Discord. If you still have the problem, then your headset is broken. If it works, then you know it’s either a problem with the software or your system.
Method 5. Reinstall the Sound drivers
There are cases when a corrupted or outdated audio driver can make you can’t hear anyone when using Discord. If this is the culprit, you should reinstall your audio driver. Follow these steps:
1. On your keyboard, press the Windows key + R, type “devmgmt.msc” in the Run dialog box. Click OK to open Device Manager.
2. Double-click “Sound, video and game controllers” in Device Manager to expand that category. Then right-click on your sound hardware and click “Uninstall” device.
3. Next, click on “Action” menu.
4. Click the “Scan for hardware changes” from the drop-down menu. Windows will scan for any hardware that is not installed and will automatically install the default drivers.
5. Once complete, restart your computer.
After the computer completely reboots, launch the Discord app then see if the problem can’t hear anyone on Discord issues still appears.
You can update your audio driver through the Device Manager. However, if you don’t have the computer skills, time, or patience to update your audio driver manually, we would recommend you do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically scan your computer and look for the correct driver for your exact sound, and it will download and install them correctly:
1. Download and install Driver Easy on your computer.
2. Launch Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then recognize your system and detect any problem drivers.
3. Click the Update button next to the flagged audio driver to automatically download and install the correct version of that driver.
Alternatively, you can also click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system.
Method 6: Use Web Version
If the above-mentioned steps fail to fix the problem, you have the option to use the Web version of Discord. If the issue is caused by a bug in the Discord app then you won’t get the issue in the web version.
1. Open your web browser and go to discordapp.com.
2. Click on “Open Discord” to open the sign-in page.
3. On log-in page, sign in your Discord account.
Check if the issue can’t hear anyone on Discord issues still occurs.
In this video, we are gonna show you how to fix can’t hear anyone on Discord on Windows 10 PC
Please let us know what it was like, did our methods help? Was all simple and comprehensible? Leave us a comment on any additional questions and ideas on how to improve the article in the section below.