In this article, learn how to fix Dell laptop black screen problem.
When we turn on our electronic devices, we expect them to work. It’s never more upsetting than suddenly seeing a black screen. Everything else appears to be in working order. The indicator light is on, and the fan is spinning. What’s the matter with my monitor? Don’t be alarmed. The Black Screen of Death is fairly common, and no matter what caused it, you can fix it using the methods below.
Why you’re experiencing a black screen issue
A faulty connection between your graphics drivers and your operating system is the main cause of the Dell black screen problem. A display adapter driver update issue is another probable explanation. After system upgrades or installations, you may experience a Black Screen of Death, which may necessitate a Windows reinstallation.
See also: How To Fix Dell Laptop Wont Turn On
How to Fix Dell Laptop Black Screen Problem?
- Restart your graphics drivers
- Force shut down your laptop
- Boot into Safe Mode
- Update your graphics driver
- Restart your explorer.exe process
- Reset or Update Bios
- Clean reinstall Windows
Fix 1: Restart your graphics drivers
You can always attempt the keyboard shortcut of pressing the Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B at the same time if you have a BSOD problem. This hotkey combination will let you restart the graphics drivers on your computer.
A faulty connection between your operating system and monitor is often the source of your Dell laptop black screen error. As a result, you can start by using the hotkey combination to reconnect the display.
If this does not resolve your black screen issue, proceed to the next step.
Fix 2: Force shut down your laptop
If you can’t restart your Dell laptop the normal way because it’s stuck, try the following:
- Remove any and all external devices and peripherals (such as a printer, Bluetooth, or USB devices).
- Press and hold the Power button for 10 to 20 seconds to turn off your laptop.
- Remove the battery while still connected to the AC adapter.
- Holding the power button for about 60 seconds will drain the remaining battery.
- Replace the battery and connect the charger.
- To turn on your laptop, press the Power button.
If your laptop still won’t display the screen, you may need to boot into Safe Mode to resolve the issue.
Fix 3: Boot into Safe Mode
Safe mode allows your computer to operate in its most minimal configuration. This can assist you in determining the root of your black screen issue and performing some basic troubleshooting. Here’s how to go about it:
1. How to enter Safe Mode
- Your Dell computer should be turned off. Turn off your laptop if it’s on.
- Press the Power button to turn on your laptop.
- Before the Windows logo appears, hold the Shift key and press the F8 key. The Recovery Mode menu will appear as a result of this action. (If you’re using Windows 7, press F8.)
- If you were unable to enter Safe Mode the first time, try again. It can take a few tries before it works, so be patient.
- Once in the Recovery Mode menu, choose See advanced repair options > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Windows Startup Settings > Restart.
- There is a list of alternatives after the machine restarts. To enter Safe Mode with a network connection, press 5 or F5.If everything works correctly in Safe Mode, the issue is very certainly caused by an outdated graphics driver, third-party software, or a computer virus.You might try uninstalling newly installed software and running a virus scan to get rid of the black screen error. If the black screen continues to appear, proceed to Fix 4 to upgrade your graphics driver.
2. Screen still goes black? Connect to an external display.
To access the display list, press the Windows logo key + P. For additional attached displays, such as a TV or a second monitor, try other display choices. Then hit Enter after selecting a display with the P or down arrow key.
Tip: However, if you still can’t see anything in Safe Mode, you might need to try Fix 6 and Fix 7.
Fix 4: Update your graphics driver
If your graphics driver is out of date, you may experience a black screen. It’s critical to keep your graphics driver up to date if you want to boost your computer’s performance.
If you want, you can manually upgrade your graphics driver by going to the manufacturer’s website, locating their driver download page, selecting the proper driver, and so on. However, if you’re not familiar with device drivers or simply don’t have the time, we recommend using Driver Easy. Here’s how to do it:
Simply select Update All to have all of the missing or out-of-date drivers on your system instantly downloaded and installed. (You’ll be prompted to upgrade to the Pro edition of Driver Easy when you click ‘Update All.’) If you don’t want to pay for the Pro edition, you may still use Driver Easy to download each driver and manually install them in Windows.)
Remember to reboot your computer for the modifications to take effect.
All of the drivers in Driver Easy have been directly downloaded from the manufacturer. You may try the Pro version risk-free because it comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. Please contact Driver Easy’s support staff at email@example.com if you require further assistance.
Check to see if the vexing black screen issue reappears. Congratulations if your desktop returns to normal. Please go to the next step if the black screen remains.
Fix 5: Restart your explorer.exe process
Your laptop’s desktop, taskbar, and other processes are all managed by Explorer.exe, so if it stops working, your screen will go dark. In this scenario, you’ll have to restart the procedure to determine if the problem has been resolved.
1) To open Task Manager, press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc buttons at the same moment on your keyboard.
2) Select explorer.exe and click End task from the Details menu (or Processes tab if you’re using Windows 7).
3) Restart your computer and check to see if the black screen has disappeared.
If you’re still seeing a black screen, move on to the next step.
Fix 6: Reset or Update Bios
A corrupt bios settings or an outdated bios version could also be the cause of a black screen. You might try resetting the bios first to see if that solves the problem.
- Reboot your computer.
- When the Dell logo appears, hit the F2 or F12 key numerous times until Entering Setup appears.
- To restore the default settings, press F9 (or Alt + F, or the load defaults button on the screen).
- To exit the BIOS screen, press ESC and make sure the Save and Exit option is selected.
- To save all changes and exit the BIOS screen, press the Enter key. Allow your computer to restart to reset the BIOS settings.
If resetting the BIOS to factory defaults does not solve the problem, you can upgrade the BIOS to the newest version.
How to update Bios?
Download the latest Bios version for your Dell laptop model from the Dell Support Page. Then, to upgrade the BIOS, follow Dell’s instructions.
If you’re unsure how to do it, consult the Dell Bios Update Guide.
Fix 7: Clean reinstall Windows
If none of the options above have worked and Windows is stuck on a black screen at startup, a clean reinstall of Windows should be considered as a last resort.
Note: this operation will wipe all of your personal information and crucial data, so make sure you’ve backed everything up to an external storage device before continuing.
- Make or prepare your backup media (DVD or USB).
- Make that your laptop is turned off.
- Connect your laptop to the recovery media.
- Switch on your computer.
- When the Dell logo displays, repeatedly press the F12 key until the Preparing one time boot menu appears.
- Select UEFI BOOT from the boot menu, then the device that corresponds to your media type – either USB or DVD.
- Choose your preferred keyboard language.
- At the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot.
- Choose Recover from a drive from the drop-down menu.
Go to the Reinstall Windows 10 on Microsoft Support Page for further information.
In this video, we are gonna show you how to fix Dell laptop black screen but still running & on Startup:
Hopefully, one of the solutions listed above fixed your Dell laptop’s black screen. If you have any queries or recommendations, please leave a remark. Black screens that appear at random are usually the consequence of a more serious hardware issue that should be left in the hands of a specialist.