The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a popular action role-playing video game that enjoys major popularity even years after it was released. However, at times when playing the game you may get the Microsoft Visual C++ run time error forcing the player to force close the game and exit.
If you are also encountering by this issue, this guide will help you resolve the Skyrim Microsoft Visual C++ run time error in Windows 10/8/7.
How to fix the Microsoft Visual C++ run time error when playing Skyrim
Method 1. Reinstall Visual C++
Reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ seems to have resolved the error for many Skyrim users. Follow these steps:
1. Open This PC and go to the following path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim
2. Inside the Skyrim folder, find the VCRedit file.
3. Double-click on the vcredit_x86.exe / vcredit_x64.exe file. Select the Uninstall options.
4. Once removed, reboot your system.
5. Visit this source to download and install the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++.
Make sure you choose the correct edition of Visual C++ 32/64 bit according to your system configuration before proceeding with the installation.
6. Once installed, open Skyrim and check if the run time error is resolved.
Method 2. Delete multiple game saves
1. Create a new folder anywhere on your desktop and name the new folder as old_game_saves.
2. Open This PC and go to the following location:
3. Then, copy all the files saved in the Saves folder. Paste the copied game files to old_game_saves folder.
4. After that, go back to the Skyrim/Saves folder again. Remove all the saves except the most recent one and the autosaves.
Launch Skyrim and check if the error is resolved.
Checkout this video to illustrate this guide:
Hope something helps you.