If gaming features aren’t available for the Windows desktop or file explorer, check that all the required Game Mode, Game bar, and Game DVR settings are enabled.
By doing this, you make sure that the issue isn’t actually just these functions being deactivated.
The Game bar has become an overlay packed with tools. The Windows 10 May 2019 Update has revamped the Game mode andGame bar, with which users can take screenshots, record gameplay footage, check system resource utilization, chat on Xbox Live, etc.
However, those gaming features aren’t always fully available for all users. If gaming features aren’t available for the Windows desktop, you will need to check that they’re enabled. In this post, we will show you how to fully enable Win 10’s gaming features.
How to enable the Windows 10 gaming features and game bar
Method 1. Update Windows 10 to the Latest Build Version
Many users might need to update Windows 10 to the latest build version as earlier builds don’t include the revamped Game bar in version 1903. To do that, follow these steps below:
1. Press the Windows key + S keyboard shortcut, type “update” in the text box.
2. Then click Check for updates, which will open the window shown directly below.
3. Click Download and install now. You might need to click the Check for updates button first.
Method 2. Add the Windows Media Pack to Windows 10 KN or N
1. Download the Media Feature Pack update package from this site.
2. Click the Download button.
3. Choose an installation pack for either 32 or 64-bit Windows, and click the Next button.
4. Next, double click the downloaded installer to install the media pack.
Method 3. Enable the Game Bar
You need to have enabled the Game Bar to open it. Here are the steps to enable the Game Bar in Windows 10:
1. Click on Start menu and select Settings.
2. Select Gaming.
3. Enable the Record game clips, screenshots and broadcast using Game bar option.
4. Enable Game DVR
To record games, you also need to toggle Record in the background while you are playing a game option on. To do that, you simply click Captures just below the Game bar in Settings and turning the Record in the background setting on.
5. Turn on Game Mode
There’s also a Game Mode option in Settings that you need to turn on to enable gaming optimization.
1. Go to the Game Mode tab in Settings shown directly below.
2. Next, toggle the Game Mode option to turn On.
When you’ve enabled all the gaming features as outlined above, press the Windows key + G hotkey. That’s the default hotkey for opening the Game bar. After that, you can fully utilize all the gaming features Win 10 has to give.
In this video, we are gonna show you how to fix Gaming features aren’t available for the Windows desktop or file explorer:
That’s about it.