Do the fan and lights continue to run after you turn off your computer? If it remains ON, this is a serious issue that should not be overlooked. Typically, this is a problem with your system’s power utilization. This issue is caused by several erroneous settings in the Power Profile. To remedy the problem, simply follow these simple steps.
Table of Contents
1. Type cmd into the Windows 10 search box.
2. Right-click the cmd icon in the search result and select Run as Administrator.
3. Now, without any problems, run the command listed below to completely shut down your computer.
shutdown /s /f /t 0
This command will forcefully close any applications that are obstructing your PC’s shutdown.
Fix 2 – Switch Off the Link State Power Management
This problem can be caused by the power management system.
1. To open a Run terminal, press the Windows key + R at the same time.
2. Type or copy-paste this run command into the Run box, then press Enter.
3. Select “PCI Express” from the drop-down menu.
4. Expand “Link State Power Management” by clicking on it.
5. Now, go to the ‘Settings‘ drop-down menu and select “Off” from the list of possibilities.
6. Select “Apply” and “OK.”
This will turn off your computer’s Link State Power Management.
Fix 3 – Switch off the fast startup
This strange situation might sometimes be caused by the system’s rapid launch.
1. To open the Run window, first press the Windows key + R keys together.
2. Copy paste this command and press Enter to run it.
A popup called Power Options will appear.
3. Select “Choose what power buttons do” from the drop-down menu.
4. Select “Change settings that are currently unavailable” from the drop-down menu.
5. Uncheck the option “Turn on fast startup (recommended)” under “Shutdown settings.”
6. Finally, click “Save changes.”
Restart your computer after you’ve turned off fast startup. If this does not resolve your problem, proceed to the next step.
Fix 4 – Disable Hibernation
Many customers have addressed the problem by simply turning off their computer’s hibernate mode.
1. To begin, hold down the Windows key + S simultaneously. Then, in the search box, type “cmd.”
2. Next, right-click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator.”
3. Paste this command into the terminal window. Press the Enter key to run it.
powercfg -h off
Switch off your computer after you’ve switched off hibernation and see whether it works.
Fix 5 – Enable hibernation
Occasionally, enabling hibernation on your computer will solve the problem.
1. In the search box, type “cmd.”
2. Now, right-click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator.”
3. To enable hibernation, paste this line into the command prompt and press Enter.
powercfg -h on
After you’ve turned on hibernation, make sure it’s working.
In this video, we are gonna show you how to fix fan and lights staying ON even after shutdown in Windows 10:
Fix 6- Update or Rollback the IMEI
The Intel Management Engine Interface driver should be updated or rolled back.
1. Press the Windows key and ‘X‘ key at the same time.
2. Select “Device Manager” from the drop-down menu.
3. Now simply select “System Devices” from the drop-down menu.
4. Right-click the “Intel Management Engine Interface” and select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
5. Then, to update the driver, select “Update driver.”
6. If this driver has recently received an update, select “Rollback driver.”
7. Reboot your system.
This should have resolved your issue.